Thursday, January 18, 2007
Small Farms Conference at OSU, Feb 17
The 7th annual Extension Small Farms Conference is scheduled for Saturday, February 17, 2007, from 9:30 AM to 5:00 PM. The one-day conference will be held on the Corvallis campus of Oregon State University at the LaSells Stewart Center. The keynote speaker, Dr. Marion Nestle of New York University, will examine what individuals, agribusiness, and the government can do to build a better food system Lucy Norris, of the Hartman Group, Inc. is the capnote speaker and will focus on understanding consumers. Find registration materials on-line at: <http://smallfarms.oregonstate.edu/> or call the Benton County Extension Office at 541-766-3556 or toll free at 1-800-365-0201.
The conference includes 9 concurrent sessions, covering a range of topics of interest to growers who market their production directly to the public, for farmers’ markets managers, and for community food advocates.
· Novel Crops for Niche Marketing
· Women and Small Farms: Exploring an Oregon Women’s Agriculture Network
· Soil Fertility Management
· Farm to Cafeteria: How Small Farms Can Sell to Big Institutions
· Farmers’ Markets: Finding Your Best Fit
· Explore Diverse Direct Marketing Opportunities
· Conversation with Marion Nestle
· Organizing Community Support for Local Agriculture
· Debit and Food Stamp Electronic Programs: What You Should Know
Pre-registration is $30 or $50 for two registering together, and includes lunch; $40 at the door.
This event is sponsored by Oregon State University Extension Service; Oregon Department of Agriculture; Wait and Lois Rising Lectureship Fund and Department of Horticulture, OSU College of Agricultural Sciences; Western SARE; Extension Family and Community Development Program, OSU College of Health and Human Sciences.
Linda J. Brewer
Faculty Research Assistant
Extension Small Farms Program
Oregon State University
203 Ballard Hall
Corvallis, OR 97331-3549